In 4th Grade Band, we have discussed two "practice tricks" for learning new pieces:
Say the notes!
1) Say the note names to the whole piece, or just a couple measures.
2) Say the note names and do the fingering/slide position.
3) Play the piece.
1) Play the first note of the piece or phrase a few times.
2) Play the first two notes a few times.
3) Repeat this process and add 1 note after you can do it 3 times successfully.
We will discuss more practice tricks as time goes on, you can also check the practice tricks sheet on the PRACTICE TOOLS page.
The 4th grade band is underway! Students should now spend half of their practice time on the Breeze Easy book, and half of their practice time on the band book.
The first 3 songs we will be working on are #14 Rolling Along, #15 Hot Cross Buns, and #25 Lightly Row.
For a fun way to practice, check out:
You can play along to a cheesy accompaniment!
Scott M. Ellis Band Director